Friday 1 May 2009
Sorry I haven't been updating, my uni work is getting a little more intense so when I have some free time, I want to be as far away from the laptop as possible for the most part, lol.

Lily and Saffy have settled in brilliantly, in fact I've never seen Lily so at ease. The fields are beautiful, views are picturesque and a lovely little community around with the two other liveries and the family who own the property. They are both catching me well and had their feet done yesterday at long last. Tonight was the first time I've actually had the time to play with Saffy and she was a star. All 3 core games are in pretty good shape, need to be a little more responsive but I was really pleased how well she took them in her stride. She has sweet-itch and I wasn't too sure how much it would affect her in her new home, she still has it but thankfully it's mild. She seems to have confidence troubles with putting on and off the bug rug and fly mask. I did think it might be 'not that thing again!' confidence but she did get tense and need to move her feet so that's something we'll play with along with picking up and holding her hooves as that wasn't so great either. We've had no horsenality switchovers in a new herd and home and Saffy and I are meshing great, Lily and I are as good as ever. :)

I spent Wednesday at Arran's for the shared lesson as I mentioned in the previous post. It was definitely quite a test for me mentally, emotionally and physically but I came through it okay and had fun at the end. Arran lent me his sweet little rescue pony, Misty, who was quite similar to Saffy so it was good for me to be able to have a play with a LBi and practise some things on her that she knows already before I teach them to Saffy. At the end we were trotting a cloverleaf pattern driving from zone 5 which was so much fun, very tiring. The whole day taught me so much especially how I brace, when I brace and why... I sure slept on Wednesday night!
posted by Lucy at 8:06 pm -
1 Comments:
  • At 2 May 2009 at 18:53, Blogger nettexsupplies said…

    Hi Lucy
    Have you considered using Brewers Yeast as a feed supplement to help control the Sweet Itch.
    We have been using yeast for nearly a year as a supplement for our horses and also give it to 6 underfed almost feral horses who live in fields down the road from us. There seems to be a difference in all of them. i.e. shiney coats, less rainscold, no mud fever... the ones down the road could get very lively when we arrived with buckets for them in the winter but they seemed much quieter and more laid back.(is that the brewers yeast?) I am beginning to think that it is a supplement that all horses would benefit from. The reason we started using it was to help our Cob Molly with her sweet itch. So far there is no sign of it this year. Although we are still using the Itch stop (just in case). Molly has never needed a rug in the summer although we might have bought one if we hadn't discovered itch stop and now the Brewers Yeast.
    Jackie

     
Post a Comment
About Me
My name is Lucy Middleton, I'm 17 years old and from the United Kingdom.
I started Parelli in January 2008 and it has been an incredible journey so far.
Pre-Parelli I did the best with what I knew but now I know better; I want to do better!
This is my blog to document my progress as a natural horseman.

Want to 'follow' my blog, fellow blogspotters? Add my url to your list on your dashboard to stay upto date!


View my profile

Lily


    I am owned by this gorgeous piebald cob mare, Lily. She's an interesting character, fun to play with and is a great teacher.

    There's more about her on her own page.
The Philosophy
    It's not about disposable horses; it's about relationships for life.
    It's not about quick fixes and artificial aids, it's about savvy; true understanding and expertise.
    It's not about winning and others losing; It's about win-win: you and the horse need to feel good.
    It's not about me me me; It's about changing the world for horses, becoming a person of knowledge and influence, and sharing what you know.
    It's not about fear and doubt; It's about unconditional love and trust.
    Love for the empowerment of others and trust that you'll never ask the horse to do something that would hurt or diminish his dignity.

    Reveal your horse. Discover your potential. Live your dream.
    -Parelli
Archives
Links
Credits

Profile designed, made and coded by Lucy Parelli Student.