Sunday 22 March 2009
Yesterday the weather was gorgeous once again so my godmother and I went up to see Lily. It was all about the Friendly Game, I'd brought my saddle and TF pad and a plastic bag to tie on the end of my carrotstick. Saddling went brilliantly, huge improvement since I last saddled her and whilst I was stood chatting to my godmother whilst playing Friendly Game with the TF pad, it blew off Lily's back and onto the floor. A few months ago that would've warranted a huge explosion but thankfully she just got a bit tense so I slapped it on the floor, mimicking the noise and motion it had made and she did really well.

Once I'd saddled her up, we then did some friendly game on the move and my godmother took a nice photo of it.
Her gait when wearing the saddle is still quite Right-Brain Introvert like a shrinking violet stepping gingerly but once she's had a bit of a trot, she walks a bit less tense. Watching her step around being that tense proves to me that she's not quite ready to be ridden yet. So we'll keep playing Friendly Games so when the time comes when she's emotionally fit to be ridden, she won't sweat the small stuff. Once she was more accepting of the Savvy string slapping around and against the saddle I then drove her from zone 3 whilst tugging down on the stirrup and flapping it about on both sides, just little things that bother green horses. She did really well.

We've played with plastic bag friendly last time Arran was here but it was only a small, clean doggy poop bag so this time I tried with a much bigger bag and it was completely different to her. She reacted quite strongly but it was nothing compared to how she would've reacted once upon a time. So I did more rhythmic friendly until she calmed down then played approach and retreat until she was happier with it being about 2 metres away from her although she was still sceptical. Once again, this'll improve the more we play with one.

To finish off on a good note, I thought playing with a concept that was within her comfort zone would be best. So I leant a tire against the fence and a bucket about 30 metres away from the tire and popped treats on the both of them and we played 'touch it' simultaneously with 'follow the rail' from zone 5, she loved it! :)
posted by Lucy at 10:21 am -
1 Comments:
  • At 23 March 2009 at 09:53, Blogger Em said…

    What a cool photo! You guys looked to be having soooo much fun :)
    You'll be riding off into the sunset in no time ;)

    xxx

     
Post a Comment
About Me
My name is Lucy Middleton, I'm 17 years old and from the United Kingdom.
I started Parelli in January 2008 and it has been an incredible journey so far.
Pre-Parelli I did the best with what I knew but now I know better; I want to do better!
This is my blog to document my progress as a natural horseman.

Want to 'follow' my blog, fellow blogspotters? Add my url to your list on your dashboard to stay upto date!


View my profile

Lily


    I am owned by this gorgeous piebald cob mare, Lily. She's an interesting character, fun to play with and is a great teacher.

    There's more about her on her own page.
The Philosophy
    It's not about disposable horses; it's about relationships for life.
    It's not about quick fixes and artificial aids, it's about savvy; true understanding and expertise.
    It's not about winning and others losing; It's about win-win: you and the horse need to feel good.
    It's not about me me me; It's about changing the world for horses, becoming a person of knowledge and influence, and sharing what you know.
    It's not about fear and doubt; It's about unconditional love and trust.
    Love for the empowerment of others and trust that you'll never ask the horse to do something that would hurt or diminish his dignity.

    Reveal your horse. Discover your potential. Live your dream.
    -Parelli
Archives
Links
Credits

Profile designed, made and coded by Lucy Parelli Student.