Saturday 14 February 2009
More Friendly, Friendly, Friendly!
Still our weakest game and it needs to be our strongest!
It's about 30-40% perhaps and it needs to be 90-100%!!

She caught me well today as soon as she realised I had my Parelli 'fannypack' on which is always full of carrots or treats, little tubby. And, as we were just chilling out and playing friendly with the halter, Molly reached over and bit Lily on the bum so I grabbed the end of the 12ft line and started swinging it to drive her away. This alarmed Lily and she thought I was driving her away to so she followed Molly with a glazed eye. I tried walking alongside and rubbing her to a halt and wiggling the rope a little but she only really snapped out of it when I porcupined her hindleg over to disengage. I thought "Oh boy!" and for the next 10 minutes or so I played friendly game, whirling the end of my 12ft line around and above my head until she made a mental yield and decided that this was of no threat to her. Cool beans!

Then, I had to go to the gateway to pick up my CS and 22ft line and she was very hesitant about going over there with many thresholds. So we played falling leaf over towards it until she licked and chewed and squeezed between the gate and I calmly. I then picked up my stuff, changed the ropes and she was stood at a funny angle, I knew if I tried walking off as she was stood she would easily be able to run over me. So I porcupined her back a few steps and then moved, just as I thought, she moved off hastily and I didn't want her to become a runaway train so I walked straight forwards, driving her zone 3 with my CS and for about 20metres she was doing a responsive, calm but elevated sideways without a fence. It was awesome!

After that, I decided to do some more Friendly Game using the Carrotstick and Savvy string and continue playing with getting her more confident in zone 4, that went well. I also started rhythmically smacking the ground with the string about a metre away from her and at first, she was pretty tense but once she realised it was just the Friendly Game; all was good. Throughout the session there was just loads of Friendly-related licking and chewing which I was really happy about.

To finish, she just put the icing on the cake - we had a fab time driving in zone 5 at walk, a little trot, halt and had a very responsive back by the tail! We still have to use the fence but she was just so responsive and willing that I was able to back her using just a little chunk of her massive tail and phase 1. A great play session with a lot of love in the air, it being Valentine's and all.

Have a great day and go out and show your equines just how much you love them! ;]
posted by Lucy at 6:05 pm -
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
About Me
My name is Lucy Middleton, I'm 17 years old and from the United Kingdom.
I started Parelli in January 2008 and it has been an incredible journey so far.
Pre-Parelli I did the best with what I knew but now I know better; I want to do better!
This is my blog to document my progress as a natural horseman.

Want to 'follow' my blog, fellow blogspotters? Add my url to your list on your dashboard to stay upto date!


View my profile

Lily


    I am owned by this gorgeous piebald cob mare, Lily. She's an interesting character, fun to play with and is a great teacher.

    There's more about her on her own page.
The Philosophy
    It's not about disposable horses; it's about relationships for life.
    It's not about quick fixes and artificial aids, it's about savvy; true understanding and expertise.
    It's not about winning and others losing; It's about win-win: you and the horse need to feel good.
    It's not about me me me; It's about changing the world for horses, becoming a person of knowledge and influence, and sharing what you know.
    It's not about fear and doubt; It's about unconditional love and trust.
    Love for the empowerment of others and trust that you'll never ask the horse to do something that would hurt or diminish his dignity.

    Reveal your horse. Discover your potential. Live your dream.
    -Parelli
Archives
Links
Credits

Profile designed, made and coded by Lucy Parelli Student.