Wednesday 1 October 2008
Okay while little Dillon sleeps I'll post an update about how our lesson went on Wednesday. I had a really great time. Arran gave me new arrows to get our friendly game on the move actually friendly, Benji still doesn't get it sometimes that it is a friendly game and either goes RB and speeds up or crowds me. It took a while but I worked through his adrenaline and we got a good result at the end. I will now practise it a little each session so even if I'm doing a rigorous friendly game that Benji will maintain a rhythmic gait and be thinking rather than going introverted. Our Friendly game is probably the weakest because he's tense when I'm using the carrotstick but the Friendly Game on the move will fix that.
We also played figure-8s and I'd told Arran that I was finding it hard to ask him to trot it but keep calm. So he also gave me some pointers for that and suggested that driving the shoulder rather than drawing him towards me would help him gain respect with his shoulders because he's too bargy with them. It was really fun to play at the trot with Benji, because he's mainly an extrovert he does enjoy playing the games at a higher level.
Having to be a bit more firm for both exercises made me realise that I tend to be more carrot than stick i.e. too gentle than too firm for fear of adding insult to injury in Right-Brain moments. I need to really find a balance between carrot and stick and go either side in the right situations.

I then had my first ride in my new Wintec Wide and Theraflex pad, I was really happy and comfortable and I think Benji was too! He was much more obedient during the ride with his lateral flexion and steering, very responsive about yielding his HQ's which I was pleased with. Arran gave me a few things to work on in preparation for sideways freestyle.

So I've got to better:
Friendly game on the move in walk, think about friendly game in trot if walk is great
Porcupine game FQ & HQ yield
Teach Benji 'touch it' online and freestyle
Indirect rein

Over all we had a great lesson! :)
posted by Lucy at 10:50 pm -
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
About Me
My name is Lucy Middleton, I'm 17 years old and from the United Kingdom.
I started Parelli in January 2008 and it has been an incredible journey so far.
Pre-Parelli I did the best with what I knew but now I know better; I want to do better!
This is my blog to document my progress as a natural horseman.

Want to 'follow' my blog, fellow blogspotters? Add my url to your list on your dashboard to stay upto date!


View my profile

Lily


    I am owned by this gorgeous piebald cob mare, Lily. She's an interesting character, fun to play with and is a great teacher.

    There's more about her on her own page.
The Philosophy
    It's not about disposable horses; it's about relationships for life.
    It's not about quick fixes and artificial aids, it's about savvy; true understanding and expertise.
    It's not about winning and others losing; It's about win-win: you and the horse need to feel good.
    It's not about me me me; It's about changing the world for horses, becoming a person of knowledge and influence, and sharing what you know.
    It's not about fear and doubt; It's about unconditional love and trust.
    Love for the empowerment of others and trust that you'll never ask the horse to do something that would hurt or diminish his dignity.

    Reveal your horse. Discover your potential. Live your dream.
    -Parelli
Archives
Links
Credits

Profile designed, made and coded by Lucy Parelli Student.