Sunday 21 September 2008
Warning: LOTS of photos in this entry! :)

Today I had such an awesome afternoon with the ponies. The weather was beautiful and although I'm still unwell I once again had to get my Savvy fix. Turns out that it's not flu but a relapse of my condition which is a little concerning but I'm not going to let it stop me from going to see my partners! So out I went to the yard.

Benji caught me and we played friendly game with the carrotstick because he's been a bit unsure of it alately. He did plenty of licking and chewing so I moved on and introduced the technique of moving Benji towards me for mounting featured on the September '08 Savvy Club DVD and he understood it better than I thought he would! He got plenty of carrots and fuss for that.

We then moved on to sideways and he was very responsive but kept trying to put his head over the fence, seeing as the fence is pretty high he looks a bit awkward when he does that. I'm sure as he gets more confident going sideways he'll stop doing it because he does seem a little anxious when he does that. I'll just keep asking for a few steps at a time and give him plenty of praise for it.

(Click on images for a bigger version)
Friendly game is getting better!
Circling game to see how exuberant he was feeling today...
Turns out very exuberant. He was getting a little Right-Brain here and I couldn't understand why until I saw this photo...
That is not a neutral position that I'm stood in, it looks predatory as if I'm assuming he'll make a mistake and I'm too ready to correct it. I didn't even realise so now I know I'll make a concious effort to look friendlier when he's doing the right thing!
I'm in a predatory position again and watching him like a hawk; silly me. But, I had to post this picture because he looks like a little fairy with his little prancing legs! Hehehe.
Lead by the leg. He found it rather boring but it's a must-learn for ponies just incase of injury; you never know when you'll need to be able to lead from other parts of the body other than the head.

A rather willful and resistant yo-yo. They do say you tend to have one yo better than the other yo. Seeing as he backed up at phase 1 and judging by his "you and what army?" attitude in this picture; I might know which is my better 'yo' at the moment! ;)




After pre-flight checks, cinching up in stages and playing 'no, you come to me for mounting, little monkey' I hopped on. I checked my brakes and played the friendly game with my carrotstick because this was the first time I'd ridden him whilst carrying it. He was fine and seemed a lot more obediant because I was carrying the stick, how interesting.
Look at the little dangly bit under his ropehalter; his neck is so small that I can't make my two reins any longer without him being at risk of tripping over them, you should see how long our leadrope is on a 22ft line made into a hackamore - it's so funny.
We then moseyed round and I practised plenty of lateral flexion it has been less than 100% and I was determined to get our one-rein stops softer. At first he didn't feel the same way...
He just didn't want to yield at all. Then after some passive persuasion in the proper position; he kept up his responsibilities and started acting like a partner...
I was so proud of him for being more cooperative and willing; although he's 13 I'm pretty sure he's had less than 100 hours of being ridden (I'd have to check with his owner, Nat, though to be certain). Thats only 4 full days, not even a drop in the ocean to the 365x13 years he's been alive. You could say he's being rebacked after not being ridden for so long, I'm also asking completely different things of him than he's been asked before and he's doing brilliantly.

So we moseyed around the field!
"I've been a good boy so I've taken you to the Candy Shop. Feed me, missy!"
I really like this picture, he looks so healthy and laid-back.
Then we had a bit of a trot around the field. I was really proud of myself for having the courage to do so because I haven't trotted him out of the grass school on my own. It looks like I'm slipping to the right on this picture but it's because I felt his ribs bending out so I was guiding him back to keep 'following the rail.'
He once again got a lot of carrots and fuss for being such a good partner today!


I then went to go see Lily and play catching game/stick to me with her.
It must be said that my mum did an fantastic job at taking all these photos.
I really like this photo, Lily has managed to keep some topline even though she's barely ridden. She looks so pretty here. :)


"Strike a pose"

Lily's dishing the gossip on the happening of the yard whilst I'm not there but we had to keep it low-key.
Benji suddenly got interested in me again so he walked back over and it looked as though he was looking round me and saying "Oh, so you're here too?" and Lily's saying, "Hello! Didn't see you coming."
Proudly showing off my wonderful Parelli partners!

I'm a real sap at times and after seeing this next photo, I really teared up. After working so hard on gaining Lily's respect and trust these past few months, this exact moment really showed it's affect on Lily. Makes is all worthwhile and then some. We were just playing stick to me as usual but I made an effort to match her energy today and it really intrigued her when I walked backwards. I recommend clicking on this image to see it properly, her expression is just what I wanted.
Okay so you've seen pictures of my shrinking violet but you've yet to see her Hyde dual-personality. She's such a funny little mare and I love her to death even when she's frowning so much you can't see her ears, lol.
I hope you enjoyed reading this entry as much as I enjoyed making it! Please comment. :)
posted by Lucy at 8:23 pm -
2 Comments:
Post a Comment
About Me
My name is Lucy Middleton, I'm 17 years old and from the United Kingdom.
I started Parelli in January 2008 and it has been an incredible journey so far.
Pre-Parelli I did the best with what I knew but now I know better; I want to do better!
This is my blog to document my progress as a natural horseman.

Want to 'follow' my blog, fellow blogspotters? Add my url to your list on your dashboard to stay upto date!


View my profile

Lily


    I am owned by this gorgeous piebald cob mare, Lily. She's an interesting character, fun to play with and is a great teacher.

    There's more about her on her own page.
The Philosophy
    It's not about disposable horses; it's about relationships for life.
    It's not about quick fixes and artificial aids, it's about savvy; true understanding and expertise.
    It's not about winning and others losing; It's about win-win: you and the horse need to feel good.
    It's not about me me me; It's about changing the world for horses, becoming a person of knowledge and influence, and sharing what you know.
    It's not about fear and doubt; It's about unconditional love and trust.
    Love for the empowerment of others and trust that you'll never ask the horse to do something that would hurt or diminish his dignity.

    Reveal your horse. Discover your potential. Live your dream.
    -Parelli
Archives
Links
Credits

Profile designed, made and coded by Lucy Parelli Student.