Saturday 20 September 2008
Hello, BFO. It's been a while!
Since my last blog I've been going through the motions up and down which has been a test of my emotional fitness. AND I've got flu, woohoo!
I've been going up to see the gruesome twosome frequently but we've done little more than friendly game and undemanding time because my head wasn't in the right place. Today is such a beautiful day that I resisted my brain trying to convince me to get back in bed; I needed my Savvy fix!! I wrapped up warm and headed out to the yard very slowly as I can hardly move.

When I got up there both ponies were vying for my attention and Benji shoved his nose into his ropehalter. We moseyed down to the grass-school where I sat on a bucket whilst I squeezed, circled and figure-8'd him over/around/sideways in front of some jumps. He was responsive, stretching well and moving nicely but our draw wasn't as good as the drive so I thought he needed some time for bonding. I brought him in and he rested his head on my lap whilst I stroked his neck. He wasn't his usual nipping, cheeky self and I was glad; I think he knew that I'm poorly and couldn't handle boisterous behaviour.

As we moseyed our way back up to the field I was walking vvvverrrryyyyy slowly so I sent him out in circles around me and considering that was the first time I'd asked him to he was very good. I then stood and evolved our circling game by asking for transitions. Last time I asked him for transitions online he wasn't ready and we went a few steps back. This time I felt that we were a lot better prepared though. So as he went past my shoulder I got my life up and asked him to trot. He yielded his hindquarters and did his deer-in-headlights face which usually indicates he's going right-brain. Then I remembered what Darin had said earlier in the week that it was possible he could be acting right-brain. Recently I have panicked and brought Benji in if he went right-brain because I didn't want to make things worse. So when Darin gave me a new perspective on the situation I had a BFO (Blinding Flash of the Obvious); without realising, I had been teaching Benji to go right-brain if he didn't want to play anymore. Whether or not he is pretending to be right-brain or he actually is right-brain in a situation I need to remember that me shutting down isn't going to help either of us; it's not what a good leader does!
So! Back to today, I had remembered Darin and I's conversation and I looked at Benji and he looked as if he was saying, "Warning: I'm about to explode!"... If ever I did see a bluff that was it. I said back, "Cool, go explode out on the circle then!" and he was like "Wait... Whaaaaat?!"
I left him out there to think about it and after a few minutes of sulking (proves the point that he wasn't right-brain that time because there was no explosion, not even a little one... How interesting!) I asked him to trot and he did a fantastic transition and then went back to walk at phase 2. I was grinning like a cheshire cat!

We then had a grooming session to finish off and it was interesting asking him to lower his head so I could brush it whilst sitting down etc. and I found out he loves the back of his front legs being rubbed and his forehead being brushed. I feel a lot more perkier than I have done for a little while and feel a lot more Savvy. Yay! :)
posted by Lucy at 2:08 pm -
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
About Me
My name is Lucy Middleton, I'm 17 years old and from the United Kingdom.
I started Parelli in January 2008 and it has been an incredible journey so far.
Pre-Parelli I did the best with what I knew but now I know better; I want to do better!
This is my blog to document my progress as a natural horseman.

Want to 'follow' my blog, fellow blogspotters? Add my url to your list on your dashboard to stay upto date!


View my profile

Lily


    I am owned by this gorgeous piebald cob mare, Lily. She's an interesting character, fun to play with and is a great teacher.

    There's more about her on her own page.
The Philosophy
    It's not about disposable horses; it's about relationships for life.
    It's not about quick fixes and artificial aids, it's about savvy; true understanding and expertise.
    It's not about winning and others losing; It's about win-win: you and the horse need to feel good.
    It's not about me me me; It's about changing the world for horses, becoming a person of knowledge and influence, and sharing what you know.
    It's not about fear and doubt; It's about unconditional love and trust.
    Love for the empowerment of others and trust that you'll never ask the horse to do something that would hurt or diminish his dignity.

    Reveal your horse. Discover your potential. Live your dream.
    -Parelli
Archives
Links
Credits

Profile designed, made and coded by Lucy Parelli Student.