Tuesday 2 September 2008
After a very miserable and unsuccessful play with Benji yesterday, I couldn't have gotten any success out of it because of the elements and circumstances. My little rainmac was blowing about which was scary, it was raining heavily and windy, my coat didn't protect me from the elements so I was cold, my face was scrunched up to avoid the weather because I'd forgotten my visor, Benji kept freaking out then slipping on the grass and the rope and savvystring both got heavy and muddy so I wasn't able to be accurate, the mares were winding him up because they were hungry. I couldn't do much about it so I came home feeling incredibly unSavvy. Then I decided that I wouldn't let the weather get the better of me and I am investing in better waterproofs including waterproof trousers for the winter. Well, it is England afterall!
We all have our bad days so I tried not to beat myself up about it too much and learned from it instead. Now I think as Autumn is drawing in I will have to play in the mornings as that is when the best weather is.

Today was much better, I decided to keep it short, sweet and simple so I had time to play with both and give them more grass. Lily caught me so I brushed her mammoth mane and picked her feet out, she's too sensitive with her hind ones so I friendly-gamed them for ages with a positive response. I then played friendly-game on the move with CS and SS; she snorted and hopped about the first time I threw the SS over her but then she soon settled. I found it really helpful to get my legs in time with her front legs to keep her from getting her legs sticky because I knew horses like sychronisation. Boy, it was hard keeping up with her, I was taking leaps to keep up with her long, lovely legs! After a few minutes she started blinking so we stopped and I kept the savvy string over her 'til she relaxed and then gave her a treat. Second try she did a lot better so we then hung out and she was very affectionate. I hadn't realised until today that Lily has a small light blue line around her eyes, she's so pretty! :)

Benji came to me no problem and I gave him a lot of treats to semi-apologise for yesterday and for him to associate being caught with something good. We then played friendly-game on the move too but I thought after yesterday it would've been too much too soon with the CS and SS so I used the end of the 12ft line. Benji just constantly wants to put me in zone 1 in order for him to relax and that just isn't practical so I made sure than 85% of our session was me stood in zone 2 or 3. It went pretty well so I gave him another treat and a fuss and turned him out.

Today I set it up for success and felt much more Savvy as I left the yard, hooray! And look forward to plenty of pics over the winter of me looking like a doofus in a waterproof overall. It's okay, I know I'm too cool, haha.

I've also updated both Benji and Lily's pages, go look now! :)
posted by Lucy at 4:01 pm -
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
About Me
My name is Lucy Middleton, I'm 17 years old and from the United Kingdom.
I started Parelli in January 2008 and it has been an incredible journey so far.
Pre-Parelli I did the best with what I knew but now I know better; I want to do better!
This is my blog to document my progress as a natural horseman.

Want to 'follow' my blog, fellow blogspotters? Add my url to your list on your dashboard to stay upto date!


View my profile

Lily


    I am owned by this gorgeous piebald cob mare, Lily. She's an interesting character, fun to play with and is a great teacher.

    There's more about her on her own page.
The Philosophy
    It's not about disposable horses; it's about relationships for life.
    It's not about quick fixes and artificial aids, it's about savvy; true understanding and expertise.
    It's not about winning and others losing; It's about win-win: you and the horse need to feel good.
    It's not about me me me; It's about changing the world for horses, becoming a person of knowledge and influence, and sharing what you know.
    It's not about fear and doubt; It's about unconditional love and trust.
    Love for the empowerment of others and trust that you'll never ask the horse to do something that would hurt or diminish his dignity.

    Reveal your horse. Discover your potential. Live your dream.
    -Parelli
Archives
Links
Credits

Profile designed, made and coded by Lucy Parelli Student.