Sunday 3 August 2008
Today I felt as though I'd been neglecting Lily a bit so I spent about half an hour with her just chilling. I picked out all four feet using advance and retreat, it took a while but we got there in the end. Then I sat down and she stood behind me for ages and then gave me a thorough licking on my arms, lovely! All the time we were hanging out, Benji was closeby wanting attention. When I turned her out, something unexpected happened. When I grabbed Benji's halter Lily stood inbetween Benji and I and tried to chase him off. That was a little strange. So I kindly told her that I am the one who decides who I'll play with and caught Benji.
I took him into the big field to have a play and we worked on sharpening up the sideways game and also transitions online. I only had my 12ft line with me which I was annoyed about because I couldn't give him any drift on the circle if he got anxious. We got good results but I was left feeling a little frustrated at myself because he had been introverted and I hadn't noticed. So afterwards I spent an hour grazing with him, playing stick to me and took him down to our tackroom for some treats. Whilst we were there I grabbed a bucket, practised lateral flexion then just hopped on there and then which I thought was rather brave of me. Then we walked back up to the top of the field so I could turn him out and I knew I'd fixed our relationship when instead of walking off, he wouldn't go anywhere I wasn't going.

"Do as I say but don't be afraid" - Linda Parelli
posted by Lucy at 9:45 am -
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
About Me
My name is Lucy Middleton, I'm 17 years old and from the United Kingdom.
I started Parelli in January 2008 and it has been an incredible journey so far.
Pre-Parelli I did the best with what I knew but now I know better; I want to do better!
This is my blog to document my progress as a natural horseman.

Want to 'follow' my blog, fellow blogspotters? Add my url to your list on your dashboard to stay upto date!


View my profile

Lily


    I am owned by this gorgeous piebald cob mare, Lily. She's an interesting character, fun to play with and is a great teacher.

    There's more about her on her own page.
The Philosophy
    It's not about disposable horses; it's about relationships for life.
    It's not about quick fixes and artificial aids, it's about savvy; true understanding and expertise.
    It's not about winning and others losing; It's about win-win: you and the horse need to feel good.
    It's not about me me me; It's about changing the world for horses, becoming a person of knowledge and influence, and sharing what you know.
    It's not about fear and doubt; It's about unconditional love and trust.
    Love for the empowerment of others and trust that you'll never ask the horse to do something that would hurt or diminish his dignity.

    Reveal your horse. Discover your potential. Live your dream.
    -Parelli
Archives
Links
Credits

Profile designed, made and coded by Lucy Parelli Student.