Sunday 3 August 2008
Pinned ears and plotting!
Well Benji had some fun today! It makes me smile just thinking about it. We had a play and worked on transitions again and change of direction with a little success. So after he was calm and ready to ride I hopped on and he instantly took charge. He'd go when he wanted to, stopped when he wanted to and as we were going round he suddenly pinned his ears back so I thought "ah, plotting... Plotting, let's see what you got!" and he put his head inbetween his legs and I was like "oh no you don't!!" It was kinda funny and even though I'm certain he's never done it before in his life, I knew it was coming. Good old dependable Benji!
After that I worked on lots of disengagement (thank you for that section on the new DVD, Linda!) and hopped off on a good note. I rung Arran about it and he said that it is most likely because he is currently winning transitions online and change of direction so he thinks from then on he is leader. Makes sense so I'm going to get those going good 'til I hop on his back again. I was worried that he is bored in the round corral but he reassured me that up until level 3 he'll be pretty bored because it's still basic horse language. He said to keep my safety a priority and still ride him in the corral unless I'm confident we'll be okay out of it.
I still thought we had a good session regardless of the naughty thoughts in his head. Hehehe :)
posted by Lucy at 6:53 pm -
2 Comments:
  • At 4 August 2008 at 00:20, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Did he buck? Were you able to prevent it from happening?

    Glad you are keeping your sense of humor about and confidence about it.

    Horses are so interesting

     
  • At 5 August 2008 at 19:15, Blogger Lucy said…

    Hi there,

    I bent his neck round just before he kicked his back legs out, lucky timing more than anything!

    Horses are interesting indeed; I learn more about life from them than people! hehehe

     
Post a Comment
About Me
My name is Lucy Middleton, I'm 17 years old and from the United Kingdom.
I started Parelli in January 2008 and it has been an incredible journey so far.
Pre-Parelli I did the best with what I knew but now I know better; I want to do better!
This is my blog to document my progress as a natural horseman.

Want to 'follow' my blog, fellow blogspotters? Add my url to your list on your dashboard to stay upto date!


View my profile

Lily


    I am owned by this gorgeous piebald cob mare, Lily. She's an interesting character, fun to play with and is a great teacher.

    There's more about her on her own page.
The Philosophy
    It's not about disposable horses; it's about relationships for life.
    It's not about quick fixes and artificial aids, it's about savvy; true understanding and expertise.
    It's not about winning and others losing; It's about win-win: you and the horse need to feel good.
    It's not about me me me; It's about changing the world for horses, becoming a person of knowledge and influence, and sharing what you know.
    It's not about fear and doubt; It's about unconditional love and trust.
    Love for the empowerment of others and trust that you'll never ask the horse to do something that would hurt or diminish his dignity.

    Reveal your horse. Discover your potential. Live your dream.
    -Parelli
Archives
Links
Credits

Profile designed, made and coded by Lucy Parelli Student.