Thursday 28 August 2008
Lesson with Arran
This evening I had a lesson with Arran and it really helped clear a few things up in my head as always. I played with Benji whilst he played with Lily and taught me at the same time. My field-neighbour was also having a lesson with him this evening as well, she's traditional but is at her wit's end with her daughter's horse. For some reason she thought he'd said 7 so he arrived at my stables for 6:30 but then had to go to her's for an hour.
Whilst he was gone he asked me to work on the friendly game on the move. I told him that I thought Benji had some difficulties with the friendly game, particularly with the carrotstick, and that I had been playing without that week. He pointed out that although playing without the carrotstick would build the relationship, as soon as I started using it again we'd be back at square one so to work through the fear. First of all Benji went starey and couldn't maintain gait or pace very well but as I kept on asking him to move his feet around the place he got better. He kept crowding me and putting his shoulder too close for comfort so Arran suggested to try asking him to move sideways from zone 1. It really helped getting him to go away and around me rather than just going round in little circles in my space. Once he was blinking and keeping the same speed within walk and trot we moved on.

Once Arran had come back it was starting to get dark and I had wanted to ride so he said we'd ride in the dark and keep on line whilst it's still light. I thought he was going a bit barmy but it's great for your feel and seat. We then played figure 8s to improve our change of direction and asking him to switch eyes easier as he doesn't like taking one eye off me for the other. Arran also mentioned that Benji seems to only be able to relax when playing if he puts me in zone 1 which is true so the friendly game on the move and figure 8s will help that. We played figure 8s in between some barrels and then over jumps and Benji was so uncoordinated bless him.
I talked to Arran briefly about my concerns over Benji being introverted and sometimes right brain but he didn't seem worried and said that he was a great left brain pony. That's relieving to know and then I started thinking again and couldn't decide whether Benji's a Left brain introvert with extroverted tendencies or vice versa, Arran said only time will tell and that Benji will reveal his true character to me. At least now I can stop worrying that I've misread Benji completely, he is left brain but he does get unconfident and introverted from time to time.

We then rode when it got dark and Arran gave me some great tips regarding asking Benji politely not to eat unless I say he can and how to get a nice back up and a better indirect rein. Arran said Benji likes to keep his mind busy whilst being ridden so practising plenty of lateral flexion, indirect reins and back ups will help achieve obedience. He was having real tantrums when I was asking him to do things rather than just go where he wants and eat when he wants which made me chuckle. It was cool riding in the dark and I saw more than I expected I would be able to.

So we have plenty of homework - friendly game on the move with Benji and Lily. With Benji: Figure 8s on line with a variety of objects and to practise getting my lateral flexion light, back ups better and a more responsive indirect rein. Eventually he'd like me to be able to do a nice indirect rein leading into a direct rein with a barrel bend (i.e. pushing Benji into the circle by leaning out).
posted by Lucy at 6:52 am -
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
About Me
My name is Lucy Middleton, I'm 17 years old and from the United Kingdom.
I started Parelli in January 2008 and it has been an incredible journey so far.
Pre-Parelli I did the best with what I knew but now I know better; I want to do better!
This is my blog to document my progress as a natural horseman.

Want to 'follow' my blog, fellow blogspotters? Add my url to your list on your dashboard to stay upto date!


View my profile

Lily


    I am owned by this gorgeous piebald cob mare, Lily. She's an interesting character, fun to play with and is a great teacher.

    There's more about her on her own page.
The Philosophy
    It's not about disposable horses; it's about relationships for life.
    It's not about quick fixes and artificial aids, it's about savvy; true understanding and expertise.
    It's not about winning and others losing; It's about win-win: you and the horse need to feel good.
    It's not about me me me; It's about changing the world for horses, becoming a person of knowledge and influence, and sharing what you know.
    It's not about fear and doubt; It's about unconditional love and trust.
    Love for the empowerment of others and trust that you'll never ask the horse to do something that would hurt or diminish his dignity.

    Reveal your horse. Discover your potential. Live your dream.
    -Parelli
Archives
Links
Credits

Profile designed, made and coded by Lucy Parelli Student.