Tuesday 1 July 2008
Today I watched the L&HB section where Linda is using food as an incentive for Remmer.
I think it's in the predator/prey learning section where the barndogs are about and I was like "wow, that's pretty cool, maybe it'll make a few things sharper with Benji" so I took some carrots up.
I whistled; he trotted upto me and stuck his nose in the ropehalter, wrong section but ya know... We then played friendly game on the move which was pants but I drove him over to an apple core I left on the ground and he was like "oh my god! did you do this?!" and then to spice up our yo-yo's I asked for more energy and after the first yo-yo in which I gave him a carrot he was practically falling over himself to do it again!
Then I was practising bending to a stop with him to refresh his memory in the hopes that I'll sit on him in the next few weeks and that was made better by asking him to bend round with his ears forwards rather than his snotty 'no, go away!' face which made him more responsive and flexible after a real good yield i waited a few moments til he licked and chewed and at this point the rope was already halved over his withers so I unclipped it, walked off and he followed. We walked over to the gate and stopped. I opened the gate, gave him 'the look' and he went through and TURNED and FACED me!
I found it hard to contain my excitement and I resisted the urge to open my eyes wide in shock 'cos I knew that would've flipped the switch for my foghorn. Instead I smiled, told him he was a good boy, gave him a carrot and took his ropehalter off. So all in all I only had to off like 4 treats and I got all that, I was mighty pleased! :]

I'm going to have a think and make a list of the next few achievements I want to get with Benji. What needs improving and what I could do better etc. etc. Something to work towards but always putting the relationship first.

"Never ask a trying horse to try" - Pat Parelli
posted by Lucy at 8:15 pm -
1 Comments:
Post a Comment
About Me
My name is Lucy Middleton, I'm 17 years old and from the United Kingdom.
I started Parelli in January 2008 and it has been an incredible journey so far.
Pre-Parelli I did the best with what I knew but now I know better; I want to do better!
This is my blog to document my progress as a natural horseman.

Want to 'follow' my blog, fellow blogspotters? Add my url to your list on your dashboard to stay upto date!


View my profile

Lily


    I am owned by this gorgeous piebald cob mare, Lily. She's an interesting character, fun to play with and is a great teacher.

    There's more about her on her own page.
The Philosophy
    It's not about disposable horses; it's about relationships for life.
    It's not about quick fixes and artificial aids, it's about savvy; true understanding and expertise.
    It's not about winning and others losing; It's about win-win: you and the horse need to feel good.
    It's not about me me me; It's about changing the world for horses, becoming a person of knowledge and influence, and sharing what you know.
    It's not about fear and doubt; It's about unconditional love and trust.
    Love for the empowerment of others and trust that you'll never ask the horse to do something that would hurt or diminish his dignity.

    Reveal your horse. Discover your potential. Live your dream.
    -Parelli
Archives
Links
Credits

Profile designed, made and coded by Lucy Parelli Student.