Saturday 5 July 2008
I did it again! I forgot to post. This past week I've just spaced out about so many things.

Since I last updated I haven't had a whole lot of time so when I have been up the yard it's to do very boring things like move the fence, poopick etc. I did go up yesterday morning with the intention of playing but as soon as I got up there I noticed Molly and Benji were very spooky. I caught Benji a little while after but he was being bothered by flies and quite tense (I wasn't sure why until just before I left the yard I saw a VERY low flying helicoptor and assumed that he must've flown over earlier.) and I was feeling very unimaginative and was baking from the heat so we didn't do much. I found a chunky wooden pole under one of our bushes that I hadn't seen before so I tried to encorporate that with our play but yesterday he couldn't handle any pressure I put on him and just wanted to go back to Molly. I played in their field and was trying to 'play with the horse that showed up' but with all the stress of Lily coming home I just couldn't think of any strategies.
After a little while we weren't doing anything constructive so I gave him a brush and turned him out. As soon as he went off on his way I realised I hadn't picked out his feet and I needed to because the farrier is coming on Monday so I just wanted to check if there were any concerns that I needed to note for when he comes. He had calmed down a little after I'd brushed him and tried to find any itches that needed scratching and when I turned him out he only took a few steps away and didn't hurry off to Molly which surprised me. I grabbed my hoofpick and started friendlying his legs and had no problem picking all of them out. I kept my carrotstick closeby just incase but he was very good. We then spent some UDT together which was really nice but I couldn't do it for too long because I had to fix the fence Molly had knocked down and move the electric tape so they had a bit more shade.

I did have a think about the things that need improving as mentioned in previous blog and came up with a small list of goals which can be found on Benji's page which can be found Here! I haven't set a time limit because when working with animals or children, things don't often go to plan. Although obviously the bath thing will need to be sorted out before Autumn or postponed until Spring but hopefully it won't have to come to that.

I would like to be able to go play with him today but I doubt it'll happen because I am so nervous about tomorrow I am allover the place. I am trying to think of strategies for everything to run as smoothly as possible. One topic on the SC really interested me; it was about humans being vegetarians and if their horses notice a difference etc. and one person noted that they suck on a mint if they're nervous because horses can smell adrenaline on your breath. How interesting! So guess who has some mints for tomorrow. I'm so jittery you'd think I've eaten a jar of coffee. I can't decide if it's more nerves or excitement but they're both getting the better of me. I need a distraction, lol.
posted by Lucy at 10:36 am -
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
About Me
My name is Lucy Middleton, I'm 17 years old and from the United Kingdom.
I started Parelli in January 2008 and it has been an incredible journey so far.
Pre-Parelli I did the best with what I knew but now I know better; I want to do better!
This is my blog to document my progress as a natural horseman.

Want to 'follow' my blog, fellow blogspotters? Add my url to your list on your dashboard to stay upto date!


View my profile

Lily


    I am owned by this gorgeous piebald cob mare, Lily. She's an interesting character, fun to play with and is a great teacher.

    There's more about her on her own page.
The Philosophy
    It's not about disposable horses; it's about relationships for life.
    It's not about quick fixes and artificial aids, it's about savvy; true understanding and expertise.
    It's not about winning and others losing; It's about win-win: you and the horse need to feel good.
    It's not about me me me; It's about changing the world for horses, becoming a person of knowledge and influence, and sharing what you know.
    It's not about fear and doubt; It's about unconditional love and trust.
    Love for the empowerment of others and trust that you'll never ask the horse to do something that would hurt or diminish his dignity.

    Reveal your horse. Discover your potential. Live your dream.
    -Parelli
Archives
Links
Credits

Profile designed, made and coded by Lucy Parelli Student.