Tuesday 3 June 2008
We're preparing to go on holiday tomorrow so Benji has only seen me for about half an hour each day since Sunday, if even that. I've got a lot of time on my hands today so hopefully I'll go play with him properly. I've been thinking that I'm going to work on his feet because although he picks them up he needs persuading and I can't get him to pick up his hindlegs by squeezing his hocks. I think he'd love the "can you put your foot on this..." game so the more responsive he is with his feet the better.
As a bit of a side project since we came back from the Stiperstones, I've been working on him letting me fiddle around with his mouth and lips. This popped into my mind because he decided gravel looked appetising up on the carpark there and I had to stick my thumb where a bit would go to get him to spit them out because the grinding was driving me mad. I had no idea why he thought it'd be a good idea.
So I've been doing things like using the carrotstick and seeing if he'll let me stick it in his mouth hasslefree as if I were worming him and because he thinks the carrotstick is a cigar already he was fine having it done. I need to remind myself that I should work on needleprep - I'm sure he'll be fine but I'd rather prepare him for his vaccinations so they're less of a shock to him. It's such a good idea, I can't believe that Parelli seems to be the only method teaching it.
I'm hoping that we'll conquer sideways soon after my holiday because that is the last task before we begin our level 2 groundwork. After the new saddle is here and sorted I will also be working on saddling and mounting and dismounting because it could be better. "Good, better, best. Never let it rest 'til your good is better and your better is best."- I googled that to see who was quoted to say it but to no avail. Very fitting though!
Lots to do... Oh boy!
posted by Lucy at 11:52 am -
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
About Me
My name is Lucy Middleton, I'm 17 years old and from the United Kingdom.
I started Parelli in January 2008 and it has been an incredible journey so far.
Pre-Parelli I did the best with what I knew but now I know better; I want to do better!
This is my blog to document my progress as a natural horseman.

Want to 'follow' my blog, fellow blogspotters? Add my url to your list on your dashboard to stay upto date!


View my profile

Lily


    I am owned by this gorgeous piebald cob mare, Lily. She's an interesting character, fun to play with and is a great teacher.

    There's more about her on her own page.
The Philosophy
    It's not about disposable horses; it's about relationships for life.
    It's not about quick fixes and artificial aids, it's about savvy; true understanding and expertise.
    It's not about winning and others losing; It's about win-win: you and the horse need to feel good.
    It's not about me me me; It's about changing the world for horses, becoming a person of knowledge and influence, and sharing what you know.
    It's not about fear and doubt; It's about unconditional love and trust.
    Love for the empowerment of others and trust that you'll never ask the horse to do something that would hurt or diminish his dignity.

    Reveal your horse. Discover your potential. Live your dream.
    -Parelli
Archives
Links
Credits

Profile designed, made and coded by Lucy Parelli Student.