Wednesday 21 May 2008
Games 1,2,3 are your horsey ABC!
Okay, first of all... Whichever heavily mustached cowboy gave the guideline that level 1 usually takes between 3 weeks and 3 months to pass is one heck of an optimist!!
Week 3 and we're still struggling with games 1,2 and 3. It feels weird saying week 3 because it feels as if I've had him a long time, not just 15 days. I guess that's a mark of a good relationship if you feel as though they've been around forever.

Today's weather was absolutely beautiful; really bright and sunny but with a cool breeze so it was perfect to play in because neither of us were puffing and panting in the heat.
He was a little iffy with me when he saw I had my rope and halter in-hand but I used the tactic Arran taught me and Benji was so curious as to what I was upto he stood perfectly still when I gave him plenty of chances to walk off - it was pretty cool. Needs work though so I can prevent future "oh no, not her again" situations. I don't want two ponies I can't catch! Hahaha. (In re-reading that I've realised I need to be a bit less B-line in my moseying which might encourage him to not see me as the teacher calling him in from breaktime.) There's just so much info to digest it is incredibly confusing at times!
I realised that he got tense when I played the friendly game using the c-stick and savvy string so I knew I couldn't stop and avoid the problem. When I continued he got upset so I did advance and retreat which went really well. It took a while and halfway through, whilst I was flicking the savvy string in a rainbow shape with my life down, I stopped when his eye softened and he came and put his head into my arms. It was really sweet and a definate moment when I thought to myself "he is really trying hard to understand". It's moments like that that make all the testing times worthwhile. After I got a few more softening of the eyes I stopped because although I didn't get him to lower his head or get him to stand 100% of the time, my arms were getting very achey.

On reflection I should've probably ended our session there on a good note because I feel he will learn a lot quicker from brief but frequent plays rather than long ones. It got me thinking about attention spans and whether it is constructive to keep asking a horse to do more after it's concentration has gone a little. Is asking a horse to do more than it wants to compromising on the relationship or does it become something a LBi starts to use as part of his usual routine to get you to get annoyed and quit?
I think Benji definately is more so LBi than LBe at the moment because he doesn't see a point to all that I am asking of him just yet because what I am saying to him is boring. Like Linda says it is me saying the ABC's and See Spot Run over and over to him. But in order for me to progress to more sophisticated 'horse' language, he has to humour me so we can whizz through the first two levels relatively hasslefree.

We then played the porcupine game and I played it using my carrotstick which I rarely do and it didn't go so great but there were some definate positive notes. He distracted me off-course and made me laugh a lot by snatching the carrotstick off me or trying to nibble my fingers off the stick. He was difficult to porcupine his hind-end around and he chose to ignore it and try to eat grass so by bumping him to stop grazing him he took that as the signal to yield his HQ. We worked through it though and improved it.

Driving game was a bit better than last time but I'm still struggling with yielding his FQ, I have to really go up the phases to move him and I feel terrible doing so. He's only got a little face and I don't like tapping it in the slightest as I am very worried it'll make him headshy. Hopefully I can scrounge some money together and have Arran come over and give me a lesson soon. Whoever assumes that people who own horses are rich; it is very much the opposite as whatever money we do get goes on looking after them!
posted by Lucy at 8:08 pm -
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
About Me
My name is Lucy Middleton, I'm 17 years old and from the United Kingdom.
I started Parelli in January 2008 and it has been an incredible journey so far.
Pre-Parelli I did the best with what I knew but now I know better; I want to do better!
This is my blog to document my progress as a natural horseman.

Want to 'follow' my blog, fellow blogspotters? Add my url to your list on your dashboard to stay upto date!


View my profile

Lily


    I am owned by this gorgeous piebald cob mare, Lily. She's an interesting character, fun to play with and is a great teacher.

    There's more about her on her own page.
The Philosophy
    It's not about disposable horses; it's about relationships for life.
    It's not about quick fixes and artificial aids, it's about savvy; true understanding and expertise.
    It's not about winning and others losing; It's about win-win: you and the horse need to feel good.
    It's not about me me me; It's about changing the world for horses, becoming a person of knowledge and influence, and sharing what you know.
    It's not about fear and doubt; It's about unconditional love and trust.
    Love for the empowerment of others and trust that you'll never ask the horse to do something that would hurt or diminish his dignity.

    Reveal your horse. Discover your potential. Live your dream.
    -Parelli
Archives
Links
Credits

Profile designed, made and coded by Lucy Parelli Student.