Monday 19 May 2008
Undemanding time.
Ever since the concept of undemanding time was explained to me I've found it amazing for many reasons. I really don't know why it never occured to me that I could just sit and watch my horse and how they behave when turned out. I've sat and watched my previous horses a few times but never to think "how interesting that she does..." more of a "I can't believe she's mine" way before I left the yard after a long day. They say it'll blow your horse's mind visiting them and asking nothing of them - I'm sure it blows the human's mind too!
I've had a busy day doing various jobs and didn't really have time to play so instead of catching him quickly and rushing through a few exercises I decided to sit, watch and learn.
When I go up to the yard I rarely call him as soon as I get there, instead I just enter the area they're grazing in and stand for a little while to see if Benji shows interest or not. Today I came without my tools and I went in through the gate and leant against it. He had his ears pricked forwards and he came walking up to me nodding his head. It seems whenever he's really interested in something that he knows isn't a threat he'll nod his head when he's walking and it is too cute! Although as soon as he realised I hadn't got a treat he got bored and walked off. Bucket love, lol. Someday he'll want to hang out with me regardless of whether I have treats or not... I hope!
Whilst sitting and watching then walking around doing field checks I noticed various different things and I was looking at the shape of Molly compared to him for a little while and noticed he is built quite uphill which is great. His back is looking a lot better, he didn't have that much muscle on either side of his spine but now he's exercising more it's filling out a little. Concerning herd dynamics Molly is definately the leader and Benji has pair-bonded with her quite strongly which I am happy about because I'd rather he hang around with confident, cool Molly rather than sensitive, emotional Lily. I wonder whether he will be bottom of the herd or middle when Lily is finally put back in with them.
posted by Lucy at 8:14 pm -
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
About Me
My name is Lucy Middleton, I'm 17 years old and from the United Kingdom.
I started Parelli in January 2008 and it has been an incredible journey so far.
Pre-Parelli I did the best with what I knew but now I know better; I want to do better!
This is my blog to document my progress as a natural horseman.

Want to 'follow' my blog, fellow blogspotters? Add my url to your list on your dashboard to stay upto date!


View my profile

Lily


    I am owned by this gorgeous piebald cob mare, Lily. She's an interesting character, fun to play with and is a great teacher.

    There's more about her on her own page.
The Philosophy
    It's not about disposable horses; it's about relationships for life.
    It's not about quick fixes and artificial aids, it's about savvy; true understanding and expertise.
    It's not about winning and others losing; It's about win-win: you and the horse need to feel good.
    It's not about me me me; It's about changing the world for horses, becoming a person of knowledge and influence, and sharing what you know.
    It's not about fear and doubt; It's about unconditional love and trust.
    Love for the empowerment of others and trust that you'll never ask the horse to do something that would hurt or diminish his dignity.

    Reveal your horse. Discover your potential. Live your dream.
    -Parelli
Archives
Links
Credits

Profile designed, made and coded by Lucy Parelli Student.