Saturday 31 May 2008
This past week has just flown. The weather has either been miserable or I've been in pain so we haven't played much. Ty's mum took Benji and I up Stiperstones in the hope of hacking out with her and her Dales. I wasn't feeling prepared so I intended on walking and playing games on the move perhaps a quarter of the way then heading back to the trailer. That didn't go to plan because we spent half a mile walking down a road the wrong way courtesy of Tyler and then back again so by that point I was in agony, Benji wasn't calm to ride and didn't want to go any further. So, although Benji went RB and was a pain in the bum to keep still once Simba was out of sight, we waited by the trailer for them to come back. A very pointless and pain-filled day for me!
I've decided I'm not going out again this year. He was brilliantly behaved at Haughmond Hill but it was a fluke and we're not ready to go out safely. I've also decided not to hack out with traditionals because they just don't understand. It was suggested by Ty's mum and Diane that I put him in a bridle 'for piece of mind' so 'I can ride and have fun'. If keeping my lad's dignity intact and our relationship 110% means that I don't ride then so be it; I am one of the few who can appreciate that it's not about riding and it's certainly not about putting a piece of metal in his mouth to yank on so I can stop. For those of us who know better bits aren't for control, they are for clearer communication. If one doesn't know the difference, then they shouldn't be allowed to use one. I'm finding it very difficult at times to keep my emotional fitness when people give me lousy, nonsensical advice. Thankfully I kept my cool when they both said to bridle him in future and told them assertively but not sharply that I will ride him in a bit when I can ride him just as well without. They didn't understand but I was proud that I didn't get grumpy about it and gave them a logical (well, to me it was) answer.
Yesterday the weather was great but I was housebound all day because of the pain but today we had a great session working on the driving game and circling game. He kept confusing being driven back to mean back then out on a circle so that took a while to fix. After about 15 minutes of working on "yes, you're going back but not on a circle 'til I ask you so" we got a great 3 lap circle in walk over a small pole. I was so chuffed about how good that was that I decided not to push it and to end it there on a good note.
One thing that still isn't so great is Benji giving me the opposite eye to the side I'm working on if I let him. For instance if I yield his hindquarters or stand and accidently block his view he will hastily move his head over my shoulder, clonk my neck and put his head inbetween me and his body. I'm trying to decide if it's a nervous behaviour or dominant but whichever it is he now tries to do it quicker than I can put up my arm as a body block. 80% of the time I'm quick enough but the other 20% I just back him right up to let him know if he wants to do that he must take a step backwards first and not be so rude.
Ah well, if that's the only bone I have to pick with him, it's a fairly small one. It'll get better over time!
I'm currently searching every nook and cranny of the net to find Parelli pics in the hopes of printing off good ones and pinning them up on my wall as inspiration. I've found some pretty amazing ones.
I love the quotes a lot of SC members have in their signatures, I don't really have anywhere to store them so if I remember I will put one at the end of each journal entry.

If a dancer was forced to dance by whips and spikes, He would be no more beautiful than a horse trained under the similar conditions - Xenophon
posted by Lucy at 11:51 am -
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
About Me
My name is Lucy Middleton, I'm 17 years old and from the United Kingdom.
I started Parelli in January 2008 and it has been an incredible journey so far.
Pre-Parelli I did the best with what I knew but now I know better; I want to do better!
This is my blog to document my progress as a natural horseman.

Want to 'follow' my blog, fellow blogspotters? Add my url to your list on your dashboard to stay upto date!


View my profile

Lily


    I am owned by this gorgeous piebald cob mare, Lily. She's an interesting character, fun to play with and is a great teacher.

    There's more about her on her own page.
The Philosophy
    It's not about disposable horses; it's about relationships for life.
    It's not about quick fixes and artificial aids, it's about savvy; true understanding and expertise.
    It's not about winning and others losing; It's about win-win: you and the horse need to feel good.
    It's not about me me me; It's about changing the world for horses, becoming a person of knowledge and influence, and sharing what you know.
    It's not about fear and doubt; It's about unconditional love and trust.
    Love for the empowerment of others and trust that you'll never ask the horse to do something that would hurt or diminish his dignity.

    Reveal your horse. Discover your potential. Live your dream.
    -Parelli
Archives
Links
Credits

Profile designed, made and coded by Lucy Parelli Student.