Saturday 17 May 2008
Level 1 makes me feel so useless at times it is unbelievable. I feel like untying my ropehalter and snapping my carrotstick in half a lot. At times I feel like I have no Savvy whatsoever. At times I feel like things will never get easier nor will I become more skilled at speaking horse... I am officially a learner!

Today we didn't have a great day, I set out with only one goal in mind - to work in the field he's kept in to see if he was happier playing there than being in the other field at the bottom. I thought he'd be more compliant seeing as I wasn't taking him out of his environment in which he feels comfortable, it made him difficult. I don't know whether it was because Molly was giving off vibes I can't pick up on or that he was frustrated that she was allowed to be free to eat as much as she'd like and go where she wanted to or that it just gave him another reason to dig his heels in. Whenever I drove him backwards or yo'd him out he'd step sideways towards the general direction she was grazing in and a few times he turned to face her and completely ignored me so I had to bump him back.
I've felt recently that he's been too close to me and he has hurt my head a few times by trying to look over me and I know that that's a sign of disrespect. There are a fair few things that make me think he doesn't respect me or see me as a leader so it's no wonder we're having a few kinks along the way. I don't blame him at all for thinking that, I don't think I am being a good leader and I can definately improve. I need to learn to be more assertive but without being predator-like.

Back to today, on a good note we did some nice porcupines from the chest and forequarter yields which only needed phase 1 or 2 which was great. Once he had stopped being presumptuous when I yo-yo'd or drove him back I was able to do so using phase 1 or 2 also, another plus! Driving the hindquarters was responsive as always but he keeps swapping sides i.e. he goes so fast that he turns his head and swaps the eye that was looking at me and I don't think he should be doing it, it can always be worked on though. I was just about to list what needs work but everything needs more work.
I thought I might ride today but I didn't because I knew Benji wasn't in the right frame of mind and I am happy that I was able to make that call rather than feel like I had to. Hopefully the new saddle will arrive on trial next week and I will have something safe and comfortable to sit in on the days he has woken up on the right side of the field. I really don't mind not riding although if I had been asked pre-Parelli if I minded not riding frequently the answer would have been different!

He makes me feel incredibly annoyed at times but I know for a fact that it is down to what I am doing. I am always wanting to improve what I do especially when it comes to the ponies and I am definately glad that these probs are coming up so I can try harder and learn further. Benji is definately proving to be the second pony I'd wanted and he is finding things difficult that Lily didn't so I am learning how to overcome obstacles I hadn't come across. I am really combing through every piece of level 1 information I get in order to make learning it all easier and more enjoyable for the both of us but there is just so much to take in that sometimes my mind draws a blank. I guess I should be proud that I am trying so hard to expand my knowledge and build up good relationships with both Benji and Lily. There will be our good days and bad and without the bad we wouldn't be given yet another opportunity to learn.
posted by Lucy at 8:10 pm -
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
About Me
My name is Lucy Middleton, I'm 17 years old and from the United Kingdom.
I started Parelli in January 2008 and it has been an incredible journey so far.
Pre-Parelli I did the best with what I knew but now I know better; I want to do better!
This is my blog to document my progress as a natural horseman.

Want to 'follow' my blog, fellow blogspotters? Add my url to your list on your dashboard to stay upto date!


View my profile

Lily


    I am owned by this gorgeous piebald cob mare, Lily. She's an interesting character, fun to play with and is a great teacher.

    There's more about her on her own page.
The Philosophy
    It's not about disposable horses; it's about relationships for life.
    It's not about quick fixes and artificial aids, it's about savvy; true understanding and expertise.
    It's not about winning and others losing; It's about win-win: you and the horse need to feel good.
    It's not about me me me; It's about changing the world for horses, becoming a person of knowledge and influence, and sharing what you know.
    It's not about fear and doubt; It's about unconditional love and trust.
    Love for the empowerment of others and trust that you'll never ask the horse to do something that would hurt or diminish his dignity.

    Reveal your horse. Discover your potential. Live your dream.
    -Parelli
Archives
Links
Credits

Profile designed, made and coded by Lucy Parelli Student.