Sunday 11 May 2008
It's two weeks today that Lily went to Arran's yard for retraining. Tomorrow will be two weeks since I've had Benji. In some ways in these two weeks I have accomplished more with Benji than I have with Lily in the 9+ months I've had her. Arran's spent 7 hours working on her so far and has been working on catching and the friendly game and gave me a few eyeopeners about her. He confirmed my suspicion of Lily being a closet leftbrain which is great because I'd much rather have 2 leftbrain than 1 leftbrain, 1 rightbrain. He showed me what he had mainly been working on and then taught me how to get her interested in being caught. I felt quite proud of myself that both times I had tried to catch her had been successful but I still worry that she's too much for me.
Arran doesn't necesserily agree with me when I say she is complex and difficult, she may not be to him because he's dealt with so many and he is much more experienced than I. I wouldn't say she is the most challenging horse I have ever met but due to my lack of Savvy, she makes it very hard for me to bond and play with her. I love her regardless of her flaws but I really hope that her difficulties and having to cope with them will make me a better naturalhorsewoman in the long run and it would be great if my love was recipricated.
She's really happy at Arran's yard and the more time he spends with her, the better she is getting and I am so worried that I will undo all of his good work by making silly mistakes when she comes home. But I'm going to try really hard with her in the hope that I can atleast finish level 2 groundwork. All of her education for the benefit of the both of us is really burning a hole in my pocket and I still don't know if it'll be enough. *sigh*

I'm not Benji's biggest fan at the moment, between muzzling him in the evening and putting suncream on his nose in the morning he's having a bit of a boy strop. It's quite funny really. If only I could tell him it's for his benefit, not mine...
I bet he's absolutely boiling today because he still hasn't fully shed his winter pony fluff yet. I'm going to give him a bath to encourage the hair to come off and then atleast he'll feel too clean and have a really good roll and it'll come off more so. Will also have a bit of a play because I've been feeling unmotivated so I'll give it a whirl and see what happens. I need to set myself some short term goals with him and maybe think about my gameplan for when Lily comes back. It'll be a good while yet but I need to be prepared! Time to put the thinking cap on.
posted by Lucy at 8:07 pm -
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
About Me
My name is Lucy Middleton, I'm 17 years old and from the United Kingdom.
I started Parelli in January 2008 and it has been an incredible journey so far.
Pre-Parelli I did the best with what I knew but now I know better; I want to do better!
This is my blog to document my progress as a natural horseman.

Want to 'follow' my blog, fellow blogspotters? Add my url to your list on your dashboard to stay upto date!


View my profile

Lily


    I am owned by this gorgeous piebald cob mare, Lily. She's an interesting character, fun to play with and is a great teacher.

    There's more about her on her own page.
The Philosophy
    It's not about disposable horses; it's about relationships for life.
    It's not about quick fixes and artificial aids, it's about savvy; true understanding and expertise.
    It's not about winning and others losing; It's about win-win: you and the horse need to feel good.
    It's not about me me me; It's about changing the world for horses, becoming a person of knowledge and influence, and sharing what you know.
    It's not about fear and doubt; It's about unconditional love and trust.
    Love for the empowerment of others and trust that you'll never ask the horse to do something that would hurt or diminish his dignity.

    Reveal your horse. Discover your potential. Live your dream.
    -Parelli
Archives
Links
Credits

Profile designed, made and coded by Lucy Parelli Student.