Saturday 3 May 2008

First unsavvy moment with Benji!

Today I went upto the yard and it was a little breezy so I knew Lily would be in a weird mood because of it but wasn't sure if Benji would. He came up to me no problem which is still an absolute shock that some ponies have no issue with catching!
We played and made great progress with the porcupine game but, I'm not sure if was due to the wind, he was a bit nervy concerning the carrot stick again when playing friendly games. I worked on it for a while but admittedly probably not as long as I should've. I wonder when he's got his head down eating if he's still paying attention to me and taking things in or thinking more about his stomach. Men!
After playing a few games I decided to saddle him up, I remembered the 3 steps of tightening a girth so I only did it up 'til it seemed a little snug. During a yo-yo he anticipated me sending him on a circle and trotted off. I tried to stop him by wiggling the rope which he ignored, I went up the phases and he was still working himself up. After a long phase four I tried to hide his hiney without thinking that he's still anxious of the carrot stick so he sped up and pulled away... His saddle slipped back so he started bucking and panicking and it slid under and I was absolutely crapping myself and still trying to get him to slow. Thankfully the stirrups fell off so they didn't get caught and I managed to get him to come in and I took the saddle off. He still wanted to move his feet but I felt upset, worried and angry at myself so I was a bit too firm with him. At that moment I knew I'd wiggled the rope too hard too soon I went WHOA!! to myself. I slowed myself down and went to sit on the log and let Benji graze. I felt very unsavvy although I was proud of myself that I did manage to control the situation effectively once he had exploded but I knew I shouldn't have got him to that point! I stayed on the log for a good few minutes reflecting and then thinking about my next plan of action and how I would prevent that from happening again. I guess the good thing is that I realised it had been my mistake rather than blaming him. Another savvy lesson! :)
Once I had calmed down and felt as though I could be a good leader again we had a long friendly game including hands, carrotstick and saddle. I was expecting him to react badly to the saddle after the scare but he wasn't bothered though I still made sure to let him know it was okay. After a calmer yo-yo I then hopped on and did a PPL with a little bit of trot which at the moment is still incredibly uncomfortable but it'll get easier, especially with the new saddle because the current one tilts me forwards. He was a little gate sweet so I asked him to go back to the gate a few times before he thought of it to let him know that it won't tick me off. Sheesh, I feel like I'm learning to ride all over again which is admittedly very difficult at times but I know it'll get better!
posted by Lucy at 7:56 pm -
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
About Me
My name is Lucy Middleton, I'm 17 years old and from the United Kingdom.
I started Parelli in January 2008 and it has been an incredible journey so far.
Pre-Parelli I did the best with what I knew but now I know better; I want to do better!
This is my blog to document my progress as a natural horseman.

Want to 'follow' my blog, fellow blogspotters? Add my url to your list on your dashboard to stay upto date!


View my profile

Lily


    I am owned by this gorgeous piebald cob mare, Lily. She's an interesting character, fun to play with and is a great teacher.

    There's more about her on her own page.
The Philosophy
    It's not about disposable horses; it's about relationships for life.
    It's not about quick fixes and artificial aids, it's about savvy; true understanding and expertise.
    It's not about winning and others losing; It's about win-win: you and the horse need to feel good.
    It's not about me me me; It's about changing the world for horses, becoming a person of knowledge and influence, and sharing what you know.
    It's not about fear and doubt; It's about unconditional love and trust.
    Love for the empowerment of others and trust that you'll never ask the horse to do something that would hurt or diminish his dignity.

    Reveal your horse. Discover your potential. Live your dream.
    -Parelli
Archives
Links
Credits

Profile designed, made and coded by Lucy Parelli Student.